Career Details for Electrical & Electronics Repairers, Powerhouse, Substation, & Relay
Relay Technician, Substation Electrician, Substation Technician, Wireman
What they do:
Inspect, test, repair, or maintain electrical equipment in generating stations, substations, and in-service relays.
On the job, you would:
- Inspect and test equipment and circuits to identify malfunctions or defects, using wiring diagrams and testing devices such as ohmmeters, voltmeters, or ammeters.
- Prepare and maintain records detailing tests, repairs, and maintenance.
- Consult manuals, schematics, wiring diagrams, and engineering personnel to troubleshoot and solve equipment problems and to determine optimum equipment functioning.
Engineering and Technology
- product and service development
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Safety and Government
- public safety and security
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- reading work related information
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- listen and understand what people say
- communicate by speaking
Hand and Finger Use
- keep your arm or hand steady
- put together small parts with your fingers
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- order or arrange things
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
- Attention to Detail
- Analytical Thinking
You might use software like this on the job:
Analytical or scientific software
- Fluke Corporation FlukeView Forms
- OMICRON Test Universe
- Microsoft Excel
Office suite software
- Microsoft Office
|New job opportunities are less likely in the future.|
|per year, on average|