Career Details for Paving, Surfacing, & Tamping Equipment Operators
Equipment Operator (EO), Paver Operator, Roller Operator, Truck Driver
What they do:
Operate equipment used for applying concrete, asphalt, or other materials to road beds, parking lots, or airport runways and taxiways, or equipment used for tamping gravel, dirt, or other materials. Includes concrete and asphalt paving machine operators, form tampers, tamping machine operators, and stone spreader operators.
On the job, you would:
- Operate machines to spread, smooth, level, or steel-reinforce stone, concrete, or asphalt on road beds.
- Observe distribution of paving material to adjust machine settings or material flow, and indicate low spots for workers to add material.
- Control traffic.
Safety and Government
- public safety and security
- movement of people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road
Engineering and Technology
- building and construction
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- quickly change the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat
- use your arms and/or legs together while sitting, standing, or lying down
Hand and Finger Use
- keep your arm or hand steady
- hold or move items with your hands
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
- Attention to Detail
- Self Control
You might use software like this on the job:
- Microsoft Excel
Electronic mail software
- Email software
Office suite software
- Microsoft Office
|New job opportunities are very likely in the future.|
|per year, on average|
- Cutting & Slicing Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
- Mine Cutting & Channeling Machine Operators
- Rail-Track Laying & Maintenance Equipment Operators
- Railroad Brake, Signal, & Switch Operators
- Roustabouts, Oil & Gas
You might like a career in one of these industries: