Career Details for Anthropologists
Professor, Professor of Anthropology, Researcher, Scientist
What they do:
Research, evaluate, and establish public policy concerning the origins of humans; their physical, social, linguistic, and cultural development; and their behavior, as well as the cultures, organizations, and institutions they have created.
On the job, you would:
- Teach and mentor undergraduate and graduate students in anthropology.
- Plan and direct research to characterize and compare the economic, demographic, health care, social, political, linguistic, and religious institutions of distinct cultural groups, communities, and organizations.
- Collect information and make judgments through observation, interviews, and review of documents.
Math and Science
- sociology and anthropology
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- history and archeology
Education and Training
- teaching and course design
- talking to others
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- communicate by speaking
- communicate by writing
Ideas and Logic
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- use rules to solve problems
People interested in this work like activities that include ideas, thinking, and figuring things out.
- Analytical Thinking
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Analytical or scientific software
- The MathWorks MATLAB
Graphics or photo imaging software
- Adobe Systems Adobe Illustrator
- Adobe Systems Adobe Photoshop
Video creation and editing software
- Apple iMovie
- Microsoft Windows Movie Maker
|New job opportunities are less likely in the future.|
|per year, on average|