Career Details for Zoologists & Wildlife Biologists
Fish and Wildlife Biologist, Fisheries Biologist, Wildlife Biologist, Zoologist
What they do:
Study the origins, behavior, diseases, genetics, and life processes of animals and wildlife. May specialize in wildlife research and management. May collect and analyze biological data to determine the environmental effects of present and potential use of land and water habitats.
On the job, you would:
- Study animals in their natural habitats, assessing effects of environment and industry on animals, interpreting findings and recommending alternative operating conditions for industry.
- Inventory or estimate plant and wildlife populations.
- Organize and conduct experimental studies with live animals in controlled or natural surroundings.
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
- administrative services
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- using scientific rules and strategies to solve problems
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- listen and understand what people say
- read and understand what is written
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- pay attention to something without being distracted
People interested in this work like activities that include ideas, thinking, and figuring things out.
- Attention to Detail
- Analytical Thinking
You might use software like this on the job:
Analytical or scientific software
- Computer modeling software
Data base user interface and query software
- Data entry software
- Microsoft Access
- IBM Lotus 1-2-3
- Microsoft Excel
|New job opportunities are likely in the future.|
|per year, on average|
|This career is part of the green economy.|