Career Details for Solar Energy Systems Engineers
Energy Systems Laboratory Director, Engineering Vice President, Renewable Energy Division Manager, Solar Engineer
What they do:
Perform site-specific engineering analysis or evaluation of energy efficiency and solar projects involving residential, commercial, or industrial customers. Design solar domestic hot water and space heating systems for new and existing structures, applying knowledge of structural energy requirements, local climates, solar technology, and thermodynamics.
On the job, you would:
- Create plans for solar energy system development, monitoring, and evaluation activities.
- Conduct engineering site audits to collect structural, electrical, and related site information for use in the design of residential or commercial solar power systems.
- Design or coordinate design of photovoltaic (PV) or solar thermal systems, including system components, for residential and commercial buildings.
Engineering and Technology
- product and service development
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- customer service
- reading work related information
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- read and understand what is written
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- use rules to solve problems
- come up with lots of ideas
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
- Analytical Thinking
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Analytical or scientific software
- The MathWorks MATLAB
Computer aided design CAD software
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Dassault Systemes SolidWorks
- Microsoft Excel
|New job opportunities are likely in the future.|
|per year, on average|
|This career is part of the green economy.|