Career Details for Biochemical Engineers
Engineering Director, Process Engineer, Research Associate, University Extension Specialist
What they do:
Develop usable, tangible products, using knowledge of biology, chemistry, or engineering. Solve problems related to materials, systems, or processes that interact with humans, plants, animals, microorganisms, or biological materials.
On the job, you would:
- Maintain databases of experiment characteristics or results.
- Read current scientific or trade literature to stay abreast of scientific, industrial, or technological advances.
- Develop methodologies for transferring procedures or biological processes from laboratories to commercial-scale manufacturing production.
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Engineering and Technology
- product and service development
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- reading work related information
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- communicate by writing
- communicate by speaking
Ideas and Logic
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- notice when problems happen
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
- see hidden patterns
People interested in this work like activities that include ideas, thinking, and figuring things out.
- Analytical Thinking
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Analytical or scientific software
- The MathWorks MATLAB
- Microsoft Excel
Operating system software
|New job opportunities are very likely in the future.|
|per year, on average|
|This career is part of the green economy.|