Career Details for Marine Architects
Designer, Naval Architect, Naval Architect Specialist, Piping Designer
What they do:
Design and oversee construction and repair of marine craft and floating structures such as ships, barges, tugs, dredges, submarines, torpedoes, floats, and buoys. May confer with marine engineers.
On the job, you would:
- Conduct stability analyses of ships.
- Design complete hull and superstructure according to specifications and test data, in conformity with standards of safety, efficiency, and economy.
- Study design proposals and specifications to establish basic characteristics of craft, such as size, weight, speed, propulsion, displacement, and draft.
Engineering and Technology
- product and service development
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- reading work related information
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- notice when problems happen
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
People interested in this work like activities that include ideas, thinking, and figuring things out.
- Analytical Thinking
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Analytical or scientific software
- ANSYS FLUENT
- Herbert Software Solutions HECSALV
Computer aided design CAD software
- AeroHydro MultiSurf
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Microsoft Excel
|New job opportunities are likely in the future.|
|per year, on average|