Career Details for Mathematical Technicians
What they do:
Apply standardized mathematical formulas, principles, and methodology to technological problems in engineering and physical sciences in relation to specific industrial and research objectives, processes, equipment, and products.
On the job, you would:
- Apply standardized mathematical formulas, principles, and methodology to the solution of technological problems involving engineering or physical science.
- Process data for analysis, using computers.
- Reduce raw data to meaningful terms, using the most practical and accurate combination and sequence of computational methods.
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- using math to solve problems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- measuring how well a system is working and how to improve it
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
People interested in this work like activities that include ideas, thinking, and figuring things out.
You might use software like this on the job:
Analytical or scientific software
- The MathWorks MATLAB
Data base user interface and query software
- Data entry software
- Microsoft Access
Object or component oriented development software
|New job opportunities are likely in the future.|
|per year, on average|