Career Details for Claims Examiners, Property & Casualty Insurance
Claims Adjuster, Claims Examiner, Claims Representative, Claims Specialist
What they do:
Review settled insurance claims to determine that payments and settlements have been made in accordance with company practices and procedures. Report overpayments, underpayments, and other irregularities. Confer with legal counsel on claims requiring litigation.
On the job, you would:
- Investigate, evaluate, and settle claims, applying technical knowledge and human relations skills to effect fair and prompt disposal of cases and to contribute to a reduced loss ratio.
- Adjust reserves or provide reserve recommendations to ensure that reserve activities are consistent with corporate policies.
- Resolve complex, severe exposure claims, using high service oriented file handling.
- customer service
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Safety and Government
- law and government
- reading work related information
- writing things for co-workers or customers
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- bringing people together to solve differences
- understanding people's reactions
- listen and understand what people say
- read and understand what is written
Ideas and Logic
- use rules to solve problems
- notice when problems happen
People interested in this work like activities that include data, detail, and regular routines.
- Attention to Detail
- Stress Tolerance
- Self Control
You might use software like this on the job:
Document management software
- Agency Management Systems AMS 360
- BCCORP W5 for Adjusters
Expert system software
- Axonwave Fraud and Abuse Management System
- Bill review software
- Healthcare common procedure coding system HCPCS
- Medical condition coding software
|New job opportunities are less likely in the future.|
|per year, on average|