How do I use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) if I’ve already submitted my FAFSA form?
Log in to your FAFSA form
- Go to fafsa.gov and select “LOG IN.”
- Select “I am the student” on the left side of the page.
- Enter your FSA ID username and password and select “NEXT.”
- On the “Disclaimer” page, click “ACCEPT.”
- Select “Make FAFSA Corrections.”
- Create a save key. (You’ll use this if you need to return to this correction later.)
Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT)
- Navigate to the “Financial Information” section.
- If you are eligible to link to the IRS, you will be able to select the “Link to IRS” button to be transferred to the IRS site. (If you are not eligible to use the IRS DRT, you will not see this button.)
- Provide the information requested from the IRS in order to confirm your identity. If the IRS site says it can’t find your data, make sure the information you entered matches your tax return exactly, including items such as abbreviations in your mailing address.
- After confirming your identity on the IRS site, choose the option to “Transfer Now.” Note: For your protection, your tax return information will not display on the IRS site or on the FAFSA form, but we will inform you that the transfer was successful.
- Once you’ve transferred your tax return information into your FAFSA form, navigate to the “Sign & Submit” page.
- On the “Sign & Submit” page, read the certification statement and check the box indicating that you agree with the statement. Then select “Submit My FAFSA” at the bottom of the page.
Total Characters: 500 Remaining: